Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Thanksgiving and Municipal Turkeys

My brine is ready.  The 5 gallon bucket in which the turkey will rest, soaking in a lavish bath of salt, sugar, all-spice, ginger and pepper is prepped and ready too.  Sometime around midnight tonight I will immerse the festive foul -- once reserved for the rich whereas the goose was the meal for the poor -- into the mixture to soak for 16 hours on our balcony.  Yet, while I get ready for my bi-weekly night out with friends, away from the campaigning, I am reflective on things I am thankful for this weekend.

I am thankful for the chance to become involved in local politics, but so much so that it occupies most waking hours of my day (8-13 hours per day, every day usually).  While there may only be 15 days away from the end of the road on this campaign, I do believe my efforts have helped pick up momentum for one candidate; Clive Doucet.  I am also thankful that I was welcomed with open arms into that campaign office and while I am sometimes outspoken, I am infrequently chastised for it.

This week has been the most trying and frustrating week I have experienced on the campaign trail.  From questionable polls that came out of nowhere, reporting thereof, to pernicious editorials aimed to steer the public on who is and is not a candidate, it truly has been difficult to remain calm. Of all that, I am thankful for people who tapped me on the shoulder and gave me sage advice, to chin up and keep trudging forward for what I believe in.  If I let everything get to me about what other people say about my candidate, my objectives might be influenced and my ability to do good on his behalf could be rendered inconsequential.

It sounds as though I am patting myself on the back a little, something I have tried to avoid for the last few weeks.  I am simply happy to see that the week has come to a close.  There has been sparks in this campaign that have ignited for better and for worse.  There have been ups and downs, but the social media community of Ottawa's voting public (largely on Twitter's #ottvote hashtag) have been outspoken and largely supportive.  For that I am absolutely thankful.

Above all and as cheesy as it can be, I am most thankful for my wife who has told me to chase this and do good for my candidate.  I have met people from other campaigns and while they seem nice, I am truly having fun despite the pressure and stress.  I am also very thankful for the supportive campaign staff and am hopeful in our success over the next 15 days; we can make a difference in this city.

W.

No comments:

Post a Comment